Maintaining your air conditioner is the best way to keep it in good condition. With the right servicing and repairs, a modern air conditioner could last for decades, providing enough cool air to get you through Adelaide’s summer months. But, sooner or later, you’ll need to contact an air conditioning technician to book servicing or repairs. While servicing and repairs are closely linked, they represent two different aspects of air conditioning maintenance. It’s important to know the difference when you book an appointment so that your technician can come prepared to tackle the problems you’re experiencing.
Common Air Conditioning Problems
Modern air conditioners last longer than ever before. When an air conditioner is expected to last for 15-20 years, it’s normal for the unit to require regular servicing and occasional repairs over that time. You don’t need to wait until your air conditioning is having problems to book an appointment with a technician, but here are a few common problems you can look out for:
- Air conditioner cycling on and off constantly
- Unusually high power bills
- Strange noises such as clacking, squeaking and banging
- Strange burning or damp smells coming from the air conditioner
- Blowing warm air or struggling to cool in summer
- Blowing cool air or struggling to heat in winter
- Water leaks from the indoor or outdoor units
- Thermostat not responding
Each of these issues has a number of possible causes that range from blocked filters to major system failures. You can speak to your technician if you need help figuring out what is going wrong with your air conditioning.
Does My Air Conditioner Need Servicing or Repairs?
Looking after your air conditioners is the best way to avoid needing major repair work. The common problems listed above can occur at any time. Some of those issues can be cleared up as part of your regular servicing schedule, while others will need a dedicated repair appointment.
Spotting the difference between issues that require servicing or repairs is relatively straightforward. We often encourage customers to think of their air conditioners the same way they think of their cars. If you have a car that won’t start, you wouldn’t call your mechanic and book a regular service. The oil change and inspection that come with a yearly service won’t fix the problem you’re having – you’ll need to book the car in for repairs instead. Air conditioning is much the same. Regular servicing can prevent issues from occurring, but you will need to book repairs for any problems that crop up along the way.
What is the Difference Between Service and Repair?
All air conditioning systems require servicing from time to time. Regular servicing ensures your air conditioning is working properly and prevents problems from developing down the road. On the other hand, repairs are only made once a problem has been identified.
You might find that your air conditioner needs repairs in one of two ways:
- You notice a problem. If you’re struggling with an air conditioner that isn’t working properly, it’s time for repairs. You’ll need to make a repair appointment if your unit is making strange noises, struggling to perform correctly or simply isn’t working.
- A service technician finds a problem. Even if you’re having your air conditioner serviced regularly, you’re likely to need repairs at some point. Regular servicing is a great way to find problems while they’re minor issues. The good news is that the technician servicing your air conditioner can catch problems early on, recommending repairs to keep your system in top condition, protecting it from major failures and high repair bills.
When to Have Your Air Conditioner Serviced
Regular servicing is the best thing you can do to prolong the life of your air conditioner and avoid the need for major repairs. We recommend that you have your split system and ducted air conditioners serviced every 12 months, ideally before summer or winter rolls around. Air conditioner servicing programs ensure your systems are always in top condition, and they allow your technician to catch minor problems before they turn into major repairs.
Need Air Conditioning Service or Repairs? Contact Air Conditioning Doctor Today!
Repairs and servicing are a critical part of maintaining your air conditioner. An experienced technician will be able to extend the life of your air conditioning, keep your power bills under control and minimise the need for costly repairs. Our team can undertake all types of air conditioning services Adelaide wide, offering repair and maintenance to suit systems from most popular manufacturers. Our team comes equipped with the skills and experience they need to handle a wide variety of air conditioning repair and servicing work. We take care of everything from regular service programs to extensive repairs for all split systems, ducted gas heating and ducted reverse cycle air conditioners.
Contact us today to find out more about our services or to make an appointment with our team!